10 Quick Things You Can Do When You Feel Stressed
No one said being a parent was easy! During challenging moments, self-care may be the last thing on your mind, but it's very important to take care of yourself as well as your children. When you feel overwhelmed with crying babies, squabbling kids, busy workdays or parent-to-parent problems, take a quick break for one of the following:
- Take several slow deep breaths.
- Call a friend and chat. Or better yet, laugh!
- Ask a trusted adult for help.
- Put your child in a safe place and leave the room for a few minutes.
- Take a walk. Fresh air and sunshine work wonders.
- Take a warm bath or shower.
- Relax your neck and shoulders or do some light stretching.
- Listen to calming music.
- Take a mental break. Daydream about a relaxing place.
- Make yourself a healthy snack or a warm drink.
- HelpGuide.org offers parents healthy stress reduction tips for all the senses. [go now]
- Download and print these tip sheets from our Parent Resource Library.
- Watch this funny video about a father who lets stress from work interfere with play time with his daughter: